Friday, August 21, 2009

Flying

I wanted to get my photos up when I had limited time, thus I didn't get to write about my trip.

So here goes: On the flight from Knoxville to Dulles, there was this sweet old lady that asked me where I was going. I told her my story of my travels and she was so excited for me. Apparently she was on the flight with a lot of people she worked with so she had everyone around us "in the know" of my trip. It was so cute.

Once in Dulles they let me be the first person off the plane so that I could make it to my next gate in the 20mins I had.

I started nearly running to the gate, to find that they moved it :( I was in the wrong terminal. I landed in A was supposed to be in B but was needing to go to C as they changed terminals. I busted ass to get to terminal C, made it THANK GOD, and was on the hunt for food. I knew my next flight would be a bitch, and we all know plane food is terrible, so I got some chex mix (everyone knows how much I love that mix).

On the ride to Germany, I met a girl that was in my EXACT SAME SHOES! She just got married on R&R and is coming to Germany to welcome her hubby home too!!! It was nice to talk to her and find out what she knew. What a small world, same flight, same exact situation.

I slept horribly on the plane :( I was sooooo cold, but hey that's what you get.

Once I landed in Frankfurt, I was so excited but a bit aprehensive, as I hadn't heard from the person meeting me to help me get to Illesheim. Come to find out I was in one terminal, and she was in another. So there's no way we'd be arriving at the same baggage claim. I went on to the train station (downstairs in the airport) and waited thinking I'd see her. I didn't. My train was about to leave and I was on it but worried about my empending trip - really just the numerous train changes, and asked the "conductor" guy if I could use his phone. He said yes, and I hurriedly called the girl helping me (side note, I couldn't call her from a pay phone since I didn't have Euros and the phones here don't let you call using a calling card!) she answered her cell and was on my train, just in the last car ... where I was in the first car. I had 2mins to get to the end of this long train ... outside the train (since dingie me didn't know you could walk inside between cars ... hey it's my very first time on a real train). I started running with my heavy luggage all the way to the end of the train. Needless to say once I got there I was far out of breath.

I made it to Illesheim safe though, through 4 train changes - now I feel like I can do anything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment