Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 ... What now

So today in church we started a new series entitled "From here to there." I'm pretty excited about this series and can't wait to see where it takes us. This week we discussed where were are now and where we want to be at the end of 2011.

Here are some things to remember:
1. Everyone end up somewhere, but few people end up somewhere on purpose - meaning that we should all have a plan on where we're going to be. We can't just go with the flow on big ticket things in life, because going with the flow could take us farther from where we want to be. We need to seek vision and guidance from God and that'll help us get to where we want to go.
2. How to we get from here to there?
a. Be honest about who you are. Who am I? Well ... being honest here ... I'm selfish. I'm a Sunday Christian (I'm moved by the spirit when I'm around the right people, but I get too busy the rest of the week to remember, thus I become someone that doesn't let God shine through me), I'm bossy, I'm needy, I'm unhealthy, I'm judgmental. Man that's hard to admit all of this.
b. Define your destination. Where do I want to be at the end of 2011? I want to be a better wife that lets my husband be the head of our household. I want to be financially sound. I want to be healthier (skinner would be nice, but I'd rather be healthier). I want to be intimate with God, I want to be someone who spends more time with the Word. I want to make friends - CHRISTIAN friends that I can learn and grow from. I want to be someone that people see God in. My biggest goal for 2011 is to be a mom (we'll talk more about this at a later date).
c. Take what you need. If you're going to get from here to where God wants you to be you must bring along the following: Examples - I'm planning on doing this by joining a growth group at church and reconnecting with my mentors from back home. Discipline - I need to make a plan and stick to it (once I have that developed I will share). Perseverance - I get easily discouraged and need to remember to just keep going, I'll make it one day. Focus - I have to remember to focus on Jesus and his example set for me.
d. Never travel alone. I think this is my favorite part. I have to get involved. I'm very much a loner and would rather be at home or work than socializing with people and putting myself "out there." This is very odd for me as I used to be a social butterfly, I don't know where, but somewhere I lost that - and I have to take it back! I can put my shyness to the side and get involved to "help" - doing that helps me not feel so uncomfortable. So I'm going to find somewhere I can volunteer and get involved and meet people.

Louie (the pastor today) kept mentioning, "if 2010 was a bad year for you, you can change that." Well maybe I'm still in that lovey dovey stage, but for me 2010 was an amazing year. We went through tough times and easy times, but at the end of the day I spent an entire year being married to the man that God made for me, I got a job that I love, I have become very close to my mother and I feel like I'm in a great spot ... so instead of wanting to turn a new leaf and start new, I want to grow this year. I want it to just get better than last year.

With all of that said, the one thing that really stuck with me reminded me of the person I was before I married John. Louie mentioned that you can't let your past define you. He was talking in regards to having a bad 2010, but I let it simmer and thought about my previous life. I know most of the people back home know the old me and don't know the person I am now, and that's okay because I made my bed. However this statement really gives me perspective. I am not who I was. I'm not the mean party girl anymore. I'm a wife to the best man in the entire world and that makes me a better person. I just hope one day all those people from back home that only know me as the old me will one day see the new me.

I can't wait for 2011 to get rolling, this is going to be a great year.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were a MEAN party girl, a party girl maybe but I think that is a good thing. Coming from the hippie generation partying was all we ever did and no was ever mean.I hope all the people back home see you for who you are but if they don't who really cares.
    I have seen with my own eyes on many occasions what a caring, giving, loving and beyond generous person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't noticed yet, my mom set up a blog so as of right now shes leaving you a comment. As for this blog, I am glad we brought 2011 in together and ever more thankful for the friendship and sisterhood we have gained. Love you and you completely described today's service perfectly.! Da Big A is my mom ;)

    ReplyDelete